Monday, August 18, 2008

FO Cap Sleeved Sweater

I finally got my mother, the sweater and me with my camera in the same location, which turned out to be beside a hotel pool. I don't know what to say about this sweater because the main thing that I see when I look at it is that it is too big. Mom says she doesn't mind, that she likes it. My husband thinks it is fine too. What I see is that the neckline is too big and she always has to pull it up to keep her bra straps from showing. The cap sleeves are not really cap sleeves, the waist shaping is too low.
The pattern on the front is pretty, but doesn't pop out very much. The underarms hang low so you can see the bra there when she raises her arms. The yarn is really soft and the sweater itself is pretty, it just doesn't fit her right. Part of the problem is the pattern itself. Other Ravelers have experienced this same problem. The sweater sizes as listed are not right. I knitted the size that said it would fit a 40" bust for someone with a 44" bust, and had the knitted fabric not relaxed so much I think it would have been fine. So my lesson for the day is..do my homework with the gauge swatch..knit it big, wash it, hang it. Such a pity to knit something this time consuming that doesn't come out right. I like the feel of this yarn, and the look and the price, but it is a pain to knit with, it splits like crazy. I doubt I will knit with it again.
Pattern: Cap Sleeved Sweater by Debbie Bliss from the Pure Silk book.
Size: Largest listed
Yarn: Plymouth Royal Bamboo, 12 balls
Needles: Size 3 Addi Turbos

1 comment:

turtlegirl76 said...

Your problem was picking a Debbie Bliss pattern to begin with. Trust not the DB patterns for they sucketh.

It does look fine on her though. I think you're being too picky. If she likes it that's all that matters.