Monday, May 12, 2008

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

I am still reading this book, and I can't say enough good things about it. It is a life changing book for me. In general this book advocates the many benefits of eating local food. There are many reasons for this a few of which are
1. We shouldn't be spending our limited oil supply on transportating our food thousand of miles when local food is available.
2. We should support small local agriculture.
3. Food that is transported long distances is bred for appearance and transportability rather than nutrition and flavor.
There are many more reasons and I couldn't possibly remember them all or state them as clearly as Kingsolver does. I really recommend that everyone read this book. Our food choices change our world.
I will probably be using the term locavore in future posts. This is a word used to describe people who are eating locally produced food, and that is what I am trying to do.

No comments: